My name is Larry Borins and I’m passionate about helping people live a happier and more fulfilling life. I prioritize building a strong and trusting relationship with each of my clients. I believe that the therapeutic relationship is the foundation for meaningful and lasting change, and I am committed to helping you achieve your goals.
No matter what you’re going through, whether it’s depression, anxiety, or marital distress, there is hope. You don’t have to face these struggles alone. Together, we can work towards helping you manage your symptoms, understand their meaning and ultimately improve your overall quality of life.
I’m a Registered Social Worker and for the last 17 years I’ve been practicing counselling and psychotherapy in Toronto, Ontario. I’ve worked in outpatient hospital centres, the private practice setting and community health organizations.
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, I’m pleased to be offering a full range of services via Zoom, a PHIPA compliant platform that is convenient, safe and surprisingly intimate. Although I do miss face to face interactions, the silver lining of “Zoom Therapy” is that I can now support my clients all over the greater Toronto area and Ontario, from the comforts of my couch to yours.
I recognize that a global pandemic can even create new issues for us to work through – personally, mentally and emotionally. For this reason, I am proud and ready to serve you.
Counselling and psychotherapy can make a huge difference and it’s more accessible and convenient than ever before. No one should have to struggle with life’s challenges alone. “Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional”.
Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Whether you are struggling with mental health issues, relationship problems or simply seeking to grow and evolve as a person, don’t hesitate to send me an email and schedule an initial consultation. I look forward to working with you and supporting you on your journey towards healing and growth.
To set up an appointment simply send me an email [email protected]
Larry Borins, MSW, RSW, received a Masters degree from Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University with a specialization in mental health. Larry has provided individual, couples and family psychotherapy to clients in outpatient hospital settings, the private practice healthcare sector and community service agencies. Larry has been a Registered Social Worker in private practice since 2006 and he is also a Registered Psychotherapist (RP).
Larry’s areas of interest are the assessment and treatment of depression, anxiety and relationship issues. Having had advanced training in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), mindfulness based interventions, and emotionally focused couples therapy (EFT); Larry helps his clients in a number of key areas. He addresses the cycles of negative emotions, he identifies destructive psychological patterns, he strengthens bonds and he explores new options for positive change.
Larry believes that more choices become available with purposeful attention and the right guidance.
I have some good news for you. You already possess the power to shape your life. You can choose to live with greater acceptance, be more in the present moment, and cultivate a more authentic way of being.
I know, because I’ve seen my clients overcome their personal stumbling blocks many, many times: from dealing with anxiety and depression, to feelings of disconnection and relationship problems.
The seed of their remarkable results lays in the way they learn to relate to their thoughts, feelings and emotions. I’ve been helping people with this practice –called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) – for many years.
According to CBT, it’s not the situation that makes us unhappy, but how we think about it (Cognitive), and what we do about it (Behaviour) that causes us distress. With practice, CBT helps you to change unhelpful thoughts and actions in the moment. The ultimate goal: you become equipped to tackle these problems in your own unique way, so you can realize your dreams, improve self-confidence, and influence your everyday mood.
I’m always delighted when my clients shift their attitudes toward their thoughts and feelings. The effect that ripples through the rest of their lives and relationships is extraordinarily satisfying to see.
Combined with a disciplined approach and extensive theoretical knowledge, I believe my success is rooted in my integrity, ethics, open mindedness, and sensitivity. I cherish my clients’ trust; it’s the foundation of our success.
If you’re ready to reduce stress, improve relationships, and create sustainable change in your life, contact me today. (416) 546-5511 or [email protected]
My sessions are often covered under your extended health benefits plan.
- Master of Social Work, Wurzweiler School of Social Work. New York City.
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy mentoring group with Zindel Segal and Dr. Pat Rockman – Ontario College of Family Physicians.
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction in Mind Body Medicine – John Kabat Zinn and Saki Santorelli.
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy Externship Training Certificate – Sue Johnson, PhD.
- Advanced Core Skills in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy – Gail Palmer
- Advanced Certificate Course Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – Level 2. University of Toronto & the Hincks/Dellcrest Institute.
- Uncovering Strengths & Building Resilience with CBT, Christine Padesky, PhD – Cognitive Workshops.
- Brief and Narrative Therapy Year-Long Extern Training Program. UofT and The Hincks/Dellcrest Institute.
- Extending Narrative Therapy with Maggie Carey – Narrative Therapy Centre of Toronto.
- Narrative Therapy Training – Michael White.
- Collaborative Strengths-Based Therapy with Challenging Children and Adolescents with Matthew D. Selekman.
- Family Mediation Certificate, University of Toronto
- Communication Training, Gestalt Institute of Toronto.
- Time Perspective Therapy – Level 1. Time Therapy Institute, Maui, Hawaii
- Multisystemic Therapy (MST) Certificate, Youthdale Treatment Centres.
- Curriculum For Living – Landmark Education.
- Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy and Trauma with Dr. Kathryn Rheem and Dr. Leanne Campbell.
- EFT Stage Two Change Events Training with Marlene Best and Kathryn Rheem, EFT
- Self Integration Model with Donna Jacobs M.A.
- EFT’s Attachment Injury Resolution Model: Repairing Broken Bonds and Rebuilding Trust, with ICEEFT trainer Lorrie Braubacher
- Relational LIfe Therapy Level 1 & 2 training with Terry Real
- Narcissism and Infidelity with Terry Real and Esther Perel, Toronto
- Three-Day Intensive with Frank Anderson:
Internal Family Systems (IFS) Experiential Training
- Founder and managing partner of Mind Health Toronto
- Hosted Paramount Pictures Canada Pre-Screening of the film Men, Women and Children and moderated Q + A
- Led Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, Mindfulness North York
- Co-lead Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Caregivers, Toronto Memory Program.
- Co-lead Parenting Groups for Oppositional Youth, Parents For Youth.
- Led Parenting Groups for Internet and Gaming Addiction, Yonge Lawrence Centre For Counselling and Consulting.
Delivered workshop to:
- Autism Ontario
- Hemophilia Ontario
- Tobique First Nations Reserve in New Brunswick, Canada
- Rosedale Heights Public School, Parent Counsel – York Region School Board.
- Toronto Prep School – Stress Busting Seminar for Final Exams.
- Wellness For Women Conference – Hemophilia Ontario.
- Jewish Family Child Services, Toronto – Lunch and Learn.
- Toronto District School Board.
- Kinark Family Services – MST Booster Training.
- Youthdale Treatment Centres, Toronto – Grand Rounds.
- Tape Educational Services – Evidence Based Treatment for Youth.
- TAPE Summer Institute, Toronto – MBCT for Youth
- TAPE Educational Services – Youth and Concurrent Disorders.
- Blue Water Family Support Services, Parkhill Ontario.
- JIAS Toronto
- Gateway Residential and Community Support Services, Welland Ontario.
- St. Leonards Community Services, Brantford, Ontario.
- Kaplan Test Prep, Toronto, Ontario.
- University of Guelph – Humber, Toronto Ontario
- Adler International Learning Inc.
- Yonge Lawrence Centre for Counselling and Consulting.
- Child and Adolescent Outpatient Mental Health Services at North York General Hospital
- Paediatric Journal Club
- Beth Tikvah Synagogue
- SickKids, Annual Paediatric Update Conference, Toronto
- Anger Management Centre of Toronto
- Mind Body Fertility Conference – Centre for Fertility and Reproductive Health, Mount Sinai Hospital
- Paramount Pictures Canada
- Orange Dot Inc.
- Robins Hebrew Academy